Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Quick & Tasty Tea

Tonight's recipe share was taken from Sarah's Cake Blog. Last week, fellow blogger Sarah made a delicious looking cheese & bacon plait, in her baking with kids feature. Being a fan of quick and easy to make meals, and seeing the opportunity to grab a recipe and adapt it to my own tastes, I thought I'd give this a go, and as I have no kids, I cooked alone! 


The difference? Sarah used  bacon, white onion and cheese in her puff pastry plait. I chose to use pancetta, red onion, cheese, and some left over peppers. I also cheated by using ready rolled puff pastry. 


I started by chopping the peppers & onion. 


I then roasted the peppers for 10 minutes, and gently sautéed the onions. 


After grating some mature cheddar cheese, I laid the ready rolled pastry on a lightly floured board.


 Using a knife I lightly marked lines vertically down the pastry sheet, marking it into 3. I then started laying the ingredients along the middle section. 



 Using a sharper knife, I made diagonal cuts in the pastry on each side of the filling. 


Using beaten egg to stick the pastry together, I started one end, bringing a strip of pastry from each side, over the top of the filling to create a plaited look. 





I then brushed beaten egg over the top, lifted onto a baking sheet, and baked for 25 minutes at 190 degrees. Sarah baked hers for 30 minutes at 180. I have a fan assisted oven, so you may want to adjust to suit your oven type. 


I served mine with a baby leaf salad, simply dressed with a vinaigrette made of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice. 




This is a versatile pastry dish that could be made with just about any filling  you like, would be a great way for using up leftovers, and would be delicious hot or cold. 

Thanks again to Sarah for sharing the recipe first. If you would like to see Sarah's original recipe, click here.

2 comments:

  1. Yummo! Looks delicious. It's such a versatile recipe. I can never get enough of it :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing it last week. I can't wait to try it again. Next time I plan to stick asparagus in it. I think it would be nice with spinach, goats cheese & cranberry sauce.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...